Sunday, March 18, 2007

J.Jerry’s Weekend Vinyl Spins

Miles Davis – In A Silent Way
Great "Jazz Jam" music, specifically superior in tailoring to your 3am-5am no sleep pattern. Groove music for the Cool in all of us, very highly suggested.

The Statler Brothers – Oh Happy Day
The third album by the Statler Bros. focusing entirely on the Word of God. A timeless version of How Great Though Art, and a positive and fun way to smile about the love from above. (I paid $1 for this record last week, and I think it's my 17th Statler Brothers album. Great great stuff)

Sigue Sigue Sputnik – Flaunt It
Released in 1986, and with a song featured in the movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off, this darkly comedic and often disturbing drum program heavy album was finally put to CD thanks to the new USB turntable purchase from Jermo Sugalski. I can't wait to digitize my soul with the sounds of Sigue Sigue Sputnik.

Paul Simon – Greatest Hits, Etc.
Although not as great as his collaboration with Art Garfunkel, this compilation of "greatest hits" songs from Paul Simon is definately part of his "better known" catalogue. A last minute $1 vinyl purchase that now owns a respectable space in my collection.

Faith No More - The Real Thing
Well shit. This album acts as the first album both in which the vocal master Mike Patton performs with and for the group Faith No More, and as the first album in which my virgin ears were violently yet excitedly raped by the majestic vocal styles of Mr. Patton. This, my personal vinyl copy, was purchased directly from Brazil along with another FTM release, and my favorite of the band, Angel Dust.

Drive Like Jehu - Drive Like Jehu
Having recently moved to California back in the later months of 2003, I stopped at a local record store that was going out of business. I managed to score this clear wax vinyl copy of this Rocket From the Crypt side project. My roommate at the time brought his record player to the 2 bedroom apartment the school hooked us up with, and when he was gone I'd jam to this album and drink my Jack Daniels. I believe that was my first session at Brooks. Shit that seems like forever ago. A superior album and a MUST OWN for any and everyone that thinks of themselves as a lover of music.

5 comments:

JDot said...

(Note, the Miles Davis album in this article was not listened to on vinyl, but rather on my iPod. I didn't want to be seen as a lier, although that ship has already sailed)

Matthew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matthew said...

I swear on my copy of Desperado I listened to this last night - for the first time in more than a year - it called out to me, "Good Luck in Jail."

JDot said...

Do you have this on vinyl? I'm sure you would have kept it if you ever owned it. The end of side 1 loops endlessly. I love albums that do that. The never ending side 1, kind of like my life: the songs over, but I just won't let it end...

Matthew said...

No - not on vinyl. Do you have Yank Crime on vinyl? I still think it's funny I put that on list night.

That "comment deleted" is from me because I had a typo on my comment - I'll just let the typo go from now on because that's kind of annoying if it stays there.