Monday, March 3, 2008

Three Things I Watched this Weekend

RFTC R.I.P. D.V.D. - Some random thoughts: I think the rough cut DVD is probably the better of the two. The liner notes make the release worthwhile with invaluable play-by-play from Speedo. My wish list would have included some extra features, more footage and even audio commentary in lieu of or in addition to the liner notes. I suppose that's a lot to ask though. It's nice to have a proper CD now, but weird editing (see Intro, Used, Come See Come Saw) and removal of the high points of the evening in my mind (don't see Hairball Alley, Glazed - realize it would be difficult to put the latter on CD) are like revisionist history. Lots of complaints - sorry - I know CDs can't be two+ hours, it was only $12 from Vagrant for a DVD and CD, etc., but I can only hope there will be a Swami "Criterion" edition down the road.

The Ten - The last two things David Wain had a director credit on are some of the funniest things I've seen in my life - Wet Hot American Summer and Stella. My expectations going into this film were off the charts, so it's hard to be fully fair. Funny at times, no huge laugh-out-loud moments, very ambitious, but ultimately disappointing. Have you seen it yet Frybyrd?


Nimrod Nation
- The Sundance Channel mini-series based on ESPN commercials about a small town and it's basketball team in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan was simply the best thing I've watched in awhile. Lots of comedy, drama and real emotion seen through the eyes of basketball and a northwoods winter in a small town. If all reality television were half as good, the genre would not have such a bad name.

5 comments:

JDot said...

What? No bass fishing?

I've got The Ten on my hard drive ready to rock. Maybe tonight.

Brewers are only paying Prince (JDot) $650K????????????????????

gdub said...

No mention of Superbad. Thanks for remembering.

Tim Hennessy said...

Pretty much everything David Wein has attepmted after the State and Stella film wise have had very, very mixed results.

His latest Run Fat Boy, Run with Simon Pegg has had mixed reviews. Kinda sucks.

Frybyrd said...

I did see this - and I agree with you. It was for the most part a diappointment.
There are two segments in particlar that I did enjoy, though.
The neighbor segment where the two guys were buying all the CATscan machines, and the segment where Winona Ryder had a thing for the ventriloquist dummy.
As for the rest of it-definitely not up to WHAS standards.

Also-remember that The State, Stella and WHAS were collaborative efforts. Maybe Wain is better as an ensemble person.

Frybyrd said...

That being said-I'm going get my bottle of dick cream and go fondle my sweaters!