Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Coveting

Coveting is a wet child angry to dry off. The same child who, 7 minutes earlier, was exhausted from panting to its mother to go frolic in the neighbor’s sprinkler. “We don’t have a towel“ she says, but that doesn’t put the cheese on the needy cracker. An adult coveting is not unlike the angry, sopping wet and annoying child. Sure, our needed and unavailable towel is evident, but the compulsive desire is still present. If I were to say, “Wow! Look at Tim’s bright shiny new thing!” Would I be unlike the desperate soaked lass? The truth is, that question cannot be answered, because I would never say such a ridiculous thing. Bright shiny new thing? Is there even a market for those anymore? I imagine, in some boarded up shack in the countryside of a Midwestern state, someone is desperately searching for the bright shiny new thing. I should send them a 60 watt light bulb. But would they get the point? Would you?