Tuesday, June 17, 2008

M.I.A. Follows The Dub and Quits While On Top of Her Game

On June 13, 2008 critically acclaimed Cult British/Sri Lankan star M.I.A. announced at the Tennessee love festival, Bonnaroo that she was then performing her last show. At the tender age of 30, this international phenomenon of worldly talents has given up singing to pursue 2 of her other innate talents: Art and her own clothing line.

I for one am a bit pleased that Mrs. M.I.A. (real name
Mathangi Arulpragasam) is closing the book on her singing career. Both of her albums, 2005's Arular and 2007's Kala are damn near perfect in every sense of the word. With her departure at such a young age and on such a monumental pedestal, over time those 2 albums will become the stepping stones for other generations of musicians to follow and emulate.

Best of luck M.I.A. Say hi to Master Dub for us.

3 comments:

gdub said...

Agreement in your assesment. Not sure she could do more with her "sound."

If you dig her, check out Santogold. Reminiscent in a somewhat fresh way. Her album offers glimpses of dub and new wave chick rock. Not quite as adventerous as MIA, but a great album none the less.

JDot said...

Don't think I'll do that.

gdub said...

Yeah, I Figured That Much.